Discussions around the Dodd-Frank Act continue to dominate the media as investment advisers await clarity on what is expected of them and concrete deadlines.
On May 12, 2011, SEC Chairman Mary Schapiro stated in a testimony before the U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs that "Under Title IV of the Dodd-Frank Act, hedge fund advisers and private equity fund advisers will be required to register with the Commission, which is expected to occur in the first quarter of 2012." While the extension has yet to be made official, it is expected.
Without the extension, the current 2011 Dodd-Frank Act deadlines for investment adviser filings are:
- May 30, 2011 for Part 2A delivery to existing clients;
- July 31, 2011 for delivery of Part 2B to new/prospective clients;
- August 20, 2011 to file an amendment to ADV regarding AUM;
- September 30, 2011 for delivery of Part 2B to existing clients; and
- October 19, 2011 to file ADV-W if an investment adviser is no longer eligible to remain registered with the SEC.
To help provide clarity on Dodd-Frank, Eze Castle Integration is holding a webinar on June 9, 2011 along with Bingham McCutchen and MyComplianceOffice. The topics we’ll be covering include:
- An overview of Dodd-Frank as it relates to hedge fund and private equity firms;
- How to build an ongoing compliance program; and
- Key Dodd-Frank technology requirements, including disaster recovery, data protection, and email & IM archiving.
Additional Articles on the Dodd-Frank Act & SEC Examinations
- Dodd-Frank IT Implications for Hedge Funds: Disaster Recovery, Archiving
- Preparing for an SEC Examination: Requested Information Part One
- Hedge Fund SEC Examination Preparation: Part Two
- Headline Risk, Employee Trading, Dodd-Frank: Hot Topics at Hedge Fund Conference